Transition to Democratic Politics
Lee Teng-hui was the first native of his province to become president, and at first, he did not have a solid foundation of power, but was elected president in March 1990 at the National Assembly, continuing the democratic and Taiwanese policy line initiated by Chiang Ching-kuo.
【In terms of democratization】
- Lee Teng-hui abolished the "Provisional Provisions for the Period of Mobilization and Counterinsurgency."
- The National Assembly and the Legislative Yuan were re-elected.
- Promote the election of the governor of Taiwan, Taipei and Kaohsiung, amnesty for political prisoners, and apologize for the 228 incidents.
【Taiwan's positioning and development direction】
- In 1991, the National Reunification Program (which includes the phrase that both the mainland and Taiwan are Chinese territories and that promoting national reunification should be the common responsibility of Chinese).
- Of China on Taiwan" began to be used, and the "Amendment to the Constitution" was The concept of "the Republicadded, and the term "free area of the Republic of China" was used to define the Taiwan island and surrounding islands effectively ruled by the Republic of China.
- After 1996, it was changed to "elected by all the people of the free areas of the Republic of China" to elect the president with the highest power in Taiwan in a free and fair manner.
【Taiwanization of the Republic of China】
-Masaaki Wakabayashi, who specializes in Taiwan's political system.
- Taiwanization of the government leadership.
- Taiwanization of political legitimacy.
- Taiwanization of ideology.
- Taiwanization of the state system.
- Hold the concept that "the mainland is China, and Taiwan is Taiwan".
- Taiwan's economic growth has increased the self-confidence of Taiwanese residents as Taiwanese. In the process, a more moderate political stance gradually emerged.
- Between Chinese national justice and Taiwanese nationalist ideology.
- By the late 1980s, Chinese nationalism was mainstream.
【What is Taiwan】
- After the 1990s, Taiwanese discovered that China adopted a one-party authoritarian system of the Communist Party, with very different social habits and consciousness, and it was difficult to treat it as the same country.
- Lee Teng-hui believes that if Taiwan does not establish its own sense of identity, it will inevitably fall into a predicament in the future, abandoning the Republic of China system, but making Taiwan more dangerous.
- During his term of office, President Lee Teng-hui adopted the line of Taiwanization and established a framework within which democratic Taiwan and Taiwan can coexist.
【A member of Taiwanese society】
- As a The President of the Republic of China, Lee Teng-hui speaks Taiwanese, which has long been regarded as an inferior language, and holds a strong sense of Taiwan, adhering to this stance, and at the same time becoming a force to stop the expansion of the DPP's power.
- Lee Teng-hui spoke of being investigated during the White Terror because he suspected that he had dealings with Communist Party-related organizations, and most people believed that Lee Teng-hui was just a politician who climbed the ladder by obeying the Kuomintang. As soon as these words came out, the people of this province immediately felt that Lee Teng-hui "It turns out that he is also a member of Taiwan society."
【Wild Lily Movement】
In 1990, the Nolily Student Movement, which was launched at the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, put forward four major political demands
- Dissolution of the National Convention.
- Repeal of temporary provisions.
- Convene a State Council.
- Timetable for political and economic reform.
In response to the students' demands, he first stopped mobilizing during the period of counter-insurgency, and the National Convention came in accordance with the "Provisional Regulations for the Period of Mobilization and Counter-insurgency", and gradually broke the problems caused by the "Provisional Regulations on the Period of Mobilization and Counter-insurgency" caused by the lack of re-election of legislators and the non-election of the president.
During the lifting of strict regulations and the opening of party bans in the 1980s, people with underworld backgrounds in the local area began to participate in elections, using public offices such as people's congresses or local heads to bleach, seek umbrellas, accumulate wealth and power, black gold politics and local factions quickly took shape, and many parliamentary violence and even criminal cases made society lose confidence in the Kuomintang.After 12 years in power, he handed over to Chen Shui-bian of the Democratic.